Friday, December 4, 2009

Hallelujah Humbug

just thinking about that first Christmas and how things haven't changed all that much. sure we have more conveniences than maybe they did, but we still have similar attitudes and world views. you see, that first Christmas there were the ones who stood in awe, the ones who bowed in wonder, those who bore gifts and beheld their KING. there were also doubters amongst the midst and those who were bitter and revengeful. the angels came, the wisemen and shepherds worshiped and adored and some how i have to believe there was Hallelujah in their hearts. yet their was at least one recorded that did not experience the Hallelujah of the first Christmas.... the Bible even records that he was disturb when he heard rumors that the king of the Jews had been born, later he was furious when he heard that the wisemen disobeyed him.... his name was not Scrooge, but Herod. he had Humbug in his heart and as far as i know, he died with it.

as i sit and ponder the meaning of Christmas, i have to ask myself the question, is there Hallelujah or Humbug in my heart? Do I have a little jealousy in my heart? Am I disturb by what others are giving or getting? Am I furious about what I don't have or can't have? Or am I standing in awe, bowing in wonder, bearing my soul and beholding my KING?

No comments: